Our client offers a development programme for qualified and inspired graduates with genuine/keen interest in the investment management industry. You need to be able to demonstrate relevant qualifications with great academic grades in a university course which is focussed on finance and quantitative subjects
The job outline/specifications provide guidance ito the objectives, goals and functions of the opportunity. It is towards this end that the programme aims to develop and skill the successful/right candidate.
This is a two years after which the candidate may be permanently appointed depending on his/her growth, performance and contribution and his/her desire to continue in the investment industry with the organisation.
The opportunity is for BEE candidates born in South Africa.
Job Objectives and Goals
- Provide efficient and effective investment risk management and performance attribution services to the investment team.
- Provide investment data/information, quantitative analyses, and other related support services to all areas within the Investment Management business.
- Provide meaningful risk analysis and input, and sound data analyses/tics, to support and add value to portfolio managers and investment analysts.
- Ensure effective investment compliance and controls.
- Keep abreast of developments in the Investment Risk Management, Data Analytics and related spaces to enable continuing enhancements to risk and performance analyses and processes.
- Play a key role in ensuring automation of investment risk and performance attribution processes and reports.
- Investment risk analysis and reporting.
- Performance measurement, attribution analysis and reporting.
- Investment and mandate compliance and monitoring.
- Ensure effective investment risk controls and limits are in place and the monitoring of these.
- Quantitative analysis relevant to function and as requested by the Risk manager, Director of Investments, and others.
- The preparation of relevant reports, presentations, etc. for the weekly Investment Risk and Portfolio Review Committee Meetings.
- Maintenance and efficient use of risk and performance support systems (e.g. Database, Statpro, Bloomberg, etc.) and investment administration and control systems.
- Effective compilation and maintenance of composite portfolios for performance, survey and GIPS purposes.
- Ensure GIPS composites are implemented in line with the intended business requirements.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with all investment mandates.
- Effectively liaise and respond to requests from internal clients and third parties for relevant risk and performance information requests etc.
- Monitoring of portfolio alignment to proactively raise consistency issues and avoid performance dispersion.
- Monitor portfolio exposures, risk and liquidity limits, concentration risks, etc. and be proactive in flagging/raising issues/breaches and ensuring remedy of these.
- Support other areas requiring risk and performance measurement / attribution and monitoring services (e.g. client report-backs and new business pitches).
- Keep abreast of market index and benchmark changes, assessing and reviewing likely impact.
- Take initiative ito new ideas, methodologies and analytics related to investment risk, performance and portfolio analysis to remain at the cutting edge.
- Review post-trade compliance reports to ensure no breaches.
- A relevant degree, preferably a post-graduate qualification (Honours and/or Masters) in the fields of quants, math, stats, risk management, computer science, actuarial, finance, etc.
- A recent graduate with 0 -1 years’ experience.
- Strong knowledge and use of databases (i.e. SQL queries and scripting or other Data Warehouse offerings) is a must.
- Good knowledge of any other programming language such as Python, R or C# will be advantageous.
Key Skills and Competencies
- Thrives in an investment environment, especially the quants and risk management aspects.
- Analytical and numerate.
- Grasps concepts and methodologies easily.
- Lateral and forward thinker.
- Reliable and honest; a person of integrity.
- Dedicated/committed; Conscientious/diligent.
- Dynamic yet disciplined.
- Assertive but a team player (cooperative and supportive).
- Takes initiative (self-starter) yet operates effectively within the investment framework and to the processes.
- Enjoys an entrepreneurial and transparent work environment.
- Embrace challenges and resolving these.
- Good command of languages (English in particular); writing and speaking.
- BEE applicants only
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com